Here’s a wonderful opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of refugees in our community.
- Teach ESL in the social justice ministry at Metropolitan Avenue UMC to Congolese refugees longing to learn and improve their lives.
- Volunteer from one hour a week to one hour a month, whatever you can commit to for 3 months, ending in mid-June.
- Training provided using the same materials used by Catholic Charities, including materials for people who are illiterate.
WEEKENDS – Group Lessons, Mid-March to Mid-June
Help with small groups of beginning, intermediate, or advanced students on Saturdays, 4:00-5:00pm and on Sundays following worship, 12:30-1:30pm at Metropolitan Avenue UMC, 3730 Metropolitan Avenue, Kansas City, Kansas, 66106, in Argentine, about two miles east of I-635 (20 minutes from Lenexa).
WEEKDAYS – One-on-one lessons taught in the student’s home
• Wednesdays 10:30-11:30am at home in KCK – Donatia is a working widowed mom. No transportation.
• Wednesdays 9:00-10:00am at home in KCMO – Dorika is a working mom with 11 people in her household who will all be at work or in school at this time. She is illiterate in her own language, but understands spoken Swahili and extremely limited English. Most in her family are fairly proficient in English.
For more information contact Jennifer Bryan, email@example.com, Ordained Deacon, Great Plains Conference and CEO, Better Together, a 501c3 dedicated as an extension ministry of the denomination to work with people in poverty. Provide your name, church affiliation, email and phone for texting, as well as days that will work for you.